Cloud computing project is great way to start learning about cloud computing. In this article we are going to discuss about some great cloud computing project ideas for students.
It is an information technology (IT) paradigm that enables ubiquitous access to shared pools of configurable system resources and higher-level services that can be rapidly provisioned with minimal management effort, often over the Internet. Cloud computing relies on sharing of resources to achieve coherence and economies of scale, similar to a public utility.
Third-party clouds enable organizations to focus on their core businesses instead of expending resources on computer infrastructure and maintenance. Advocates note that cloud computing allows companies to avoid or minimize up-front IT infrastructure costs. Proponents also claim that cloud computing allows enterprises to get their applications up and running faster, with improved manageability and less maintenance, and that it enables IT teams to more rapidly adjust resources to meet fluctuating and unpredictable demand. Cloud providers typically use a “pay-as-you-go” model, which can lead to unexpected operating expenses if administrators are not familiarized with cloud-pricing models.
Since the launch of Amazon EC2 in 2006, the availability of high-capacity networks, low-cost computers and storage devices as well as the widespread adoption of hardware virtualization, service-oriented architecture, and autonomic and utility computing has led to growth in cloud computing.
Here I will be talking about 2 type of projects
Personal Cloud using Raspberry Pi
- Raspberry Pi 3 B: This device can be used as a server which we are doing in this project.
- Micro SD card: You will need a minimum of 8 gigabytes SD card for this project, this SD card is used as the ROM of the raspberry pi.
- Hard drive: You will need a hard drive to store the data, which acts as the cloud storage drive.
- Download the Raspbian OS and install it in the micro SD card
- Download ownCloud in your raspberry pi 3 B
- Mount and setup your hard drive
- Enable SSI(Server side includes) for secure access
- Enable port forwarding in your WAN connection
- Create a ownCloud account and save your files from any part of the world
Project Brief: Once you install all the software and configure your personal cloud you just need to login to your ownCloud account and upload the data which you want to store in your cloud drive, now you can store and access the data from any part of the world.
- Raspbian OS(Debian Linux)
- ownCloud: ownCloud is an open source platform where you create an account and you can have your personal cloud.
Programming : Linux (terminal commands)
Remote Monitoring and Controlling of Industry using IoT
- Arduino Uno: Arduino Uno is a microcontroller which can take both analog and digital inputs and you can use this to acquire the data from all the sensors. There are six analog I/O pins and fourteen digital I/O pins which you can use to interface your sensors.
- Raspberry Pi 3 B: You can use Raspberry pi as a server, program raspberry pi to take the data from Arduino, and depending on the data acquired you can actuate the camera, exhaust and also turn of the machines. Program the raspberry pi such that the data that is acquired from sensors is uploaded to the cloud and when an intruder is found in the restricted area then click a picture and mail it to the email ID given in the program.
- MQ 6 sensor: MQ 6 sensor can detect iso-butane, propane, LPG with high sensitivity and it also detects alcohol and smoke with small sensitivity. The response of the sensor is very fast and this sensor is durable you can use this sensor in any environment condition.
- SW-420 vibration sensor: This vibration sensor module detects if there is any vibration that is beyond the threshold. You can set this threshold using the potentiometer provided in the module.
- Relay Module Use relay module to actuae the exhaust and the machines.
- Program Arduino to sense the data from all the three sensors and; send these data to raspberry pi through serial communication.
- The data acquired; can be stored in cloud,; you can create a MySQL database and store the data.
- The project can; also be monitored from the; mobile through an android app,; you can use MIT app inventor to create an app.
- This project can send and receive the data within the WI-FI network,; in order to access the data and actuate from any part of the world you need to do port forwarding in your network.
- Arduino IDE Version 1.8.5 : You will be needing Arduino IDE software for writing and; uploading the program into the Arduino Uno board.
- Raspbian OS(Debian Linux)
- MySQL: MySQL is a platform where you can create a database and upload data using IoT.
- MIT app inventor 2:: This software is an online based android app development; platform you can use MIT app inventor 2 to create your app.
- Python IDE 3: Python IDE 3 is compiler where you can write and compile python program.
- Linux (terminal commands)
Also, please do let us know about your thoughts/requests/feedbacks it really keeps us motivated and keeps us going.