What is GATE?
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an All-India examination administered and conducted in eight zones across the country by the GATE Committee comprising of Faculty members from IISc, Bangalore and other seven IIT’s on behalf of the National Coordinating Board, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development. The GATE score/rank is used for admissions to Post Graduate Programmes (ME, M.Tech, MS, Direct Ph.D.) in institutes like IITs and IISc etc with financial assistance offered by MHRD. PSUs too use the GATE scores for recruiting candidates for various prestigious jobs with attractive remuneration.
In GATE examination, candidates can apply for only one of the 23 papers listed in the table given below.
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Life Sciences||XL|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Computer Science &
|Electronics and Communication
|EC||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering & Fibre Science||TF|
|Engineering Sciences||XE||Ecology and Evolution||EY|
GATE 2018 Eligibility
The following candidates are eligible to appear in GATE 2018:
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/ Technology) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Architecture (Five years course) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Bachelor’s degree holders of Four-year program in Science (B.S.) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Master’s degree holders in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Holders of Four-year Integrated Master’s degree (Post B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology and those who are in the second or higher year of such programs.
- Holders of Five-year Integrated Master’s degree or Dual Degree in Engineering/Technology and those who are in the fourth or higher year of such programs.
- Holders of Five-year integrated M.Sc. or Five-year integrated B.Sc./M.Sc. degree and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE/ MHRD as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed Section A of AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
GATE 2018 Exam Pattern
|Section||Question No||No. of Questions||Marks Per Question||Total Marks|
|General Aptitude||1 to 5||5||1||5|
|Technical + Engineering Mathematics||1 to 25||25||1||25|
|26 to 55||30||2||60|
|Total Questions : 65||Total Marks : 100||Total Duration : 3 hours|
|Technical Section : 70 Marks||General Aptitude: 15 marks||Engineering Mathematics : 15 Marks|
|25 marks to 40 marks will allotted to Numeric Answer Type Questions|
These questions are objective in nature and each question will have choice of four answers, out of which the candidate has to mark the correct answer. Each question carries 1 or 2 marks questions in all the sections.
Numerical Answer Questions
There will be no choices available for these types of questions. A Numeric Answer question carries 1 or 2 marks questions in all sections. The answer for these questions is a real number to be entered by using mouse and virtual keypad displayed on the monitor. No negative marking for these questions.
|Questions Type||Marks||Negative Marking|
|Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)||1 mark||0.33|
|Numerical Answer Questions||1 mark||Nil|
GATE 2018 Schedule
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS)
Website Opens for Enrolment, Application
Filling, Application Submission
|September 01, 2017 (Friday)|
|Last Date for Submission of Online
Application through Website
|October 05, 2017 (Thursday)|
|Last Date for Request for Change in the
Choice of Examination City via GOAPS login
|November 17, 2017 (Friday)|
|Availability of Admit Card on the Online
Application Interface for printing
|January 05, 2018 (Friday)|
|GATE 2018 Online Examination Dates||February 03- 04 & February 10- 11, 2018
(Saturdays & Sundays)
|Announcement of Results on the Online Application Website||March 17, 2018 (Saturday)|