Do you want to know about Internet of Things? Are you worried how the Internet of Things Implementation is carried out?
Internet of Things is a network of connecting things, vehicles, appliances with each other such that they are able to communicate among themselves. This communication may or may not require a human intervention. There are many ways to implement Internet of Things. The Internet of Things is defined as the connection that can take place at any time, at any place and between any two or more things.
Characteristics of Internet of Things:
- Event driven
- Complex integration with things and data
- Flexible architecture
In this article we will discuss few methods to implement Internet of Things. As the word implies giving an internet connection to any thing is called Internet of Things.
Additionally, the internet can be given in many ways –
- Giving an internet connection to the device directly.
- Making the devices to connect to a data aggregator (like sink node) which in turn gets connected to internet.
- Feeding all the data to a database or a cloud and bringing insight to the data.
Furthermore, there are few objective which have to be met before trying to implement internet of things
- Identify, sense, and communicate the nodes thereby establishing a mesh network.
- Then feed all the sensed data to the database thereby allowing the dynamic data retrieval.
- Make the nodes identify themselves, communicate with the sink nodes, and feed the data into the internet.
- Implement any Internet of Things protocol thereby optimizing the bandwidth.
- Finally decide which means of application to focus and which method to retrieve data.
Finally, the below figures gives the basic wireless sensor network diagram
- Red color node indicates that it is the sink node.
- The white color indicates that it is the source node.
- Blue indicates it is the cluster head.
- Green indicates it is routing node.
Ways to implement the basic wireless sensor network
- Connect the source node with the sink node.
- Then, make use of the cluster head and group the common nodes, Consequently, reach the sink node.
- Finally, routing node is used which helps in making the source node to reach the sink node.
To implement the basic Internet of Things application with this wireless sensor network the Internet has to be given at the sink node. Else the internet can be directly given to the source node itself. Giving an internet to the CD which is concentrated device is one method and it is called as Front End Solution. Moreover, there can be one or more concentrated devices depending on the applications. Hence these kind of applications of Internet of Things can be used in military applications, habitat monitoring, forest monitoring to check if there is any fire or not etc.
The basic devices behind the source node are called a mote. The mote has inbuilt sensor, controller and a transmitter in it. The value which is sensed is transmitted to the sink node via routing node or cluster head depending on the applications. Then the sink node has a database which can be connected to internet. The diagram is the best way to represent the front end solution wherein the Wireless Sensor Network is connected to the Concentrator Device which in turn is connected to the user. Finally, the Modbus, TCP/IP is preferred.
These applications are numerous. Moreover, nowadays the source node itself has an internet to it. Various protocols like COAP, MQTT, AMQP etc can be implemented on the source nodes and improved applications and insight to data’s can be brought out.
So the two preferable ways can be used depending on the user. These are as follows :
In the first method the wireless sensor network is preferred and the motes should have a Real Time Operating System inbuilt in it. Consequently, this Real Time Operating System will help in multithreading, Save power and in turn improve the life time of the motes being used. Moreover it has various algorithms like preemptive scheduling, Round robin scheduling, Non preemptive scheduling, Earliest Deadline First etc. Additionally, the inter-task sharing and the interrupt schedulers helps in efficient communication.
In second method the internet is directly connected to the source node. The source node should have enough energy in it to transmit the sensed value to the internet. Additionally, the processing is also done inside the source node itself. The source node sends it value to any platform like ThingSpeak wherein it is connected to MATLAB to bring an insight to the data. Hence, this insight can be used for many applications and many research activities are carried out.
To implement Internet of Things Certification course check the link below –
Challenges of Internet of Things
- Less privacy
- Security is less
Applications of Internet of Things
- Consumer and home
- Smart infrastructure
- Transportation etc.
Thus, this article was about the Internet of Things Implementation.
To know more on the projects related to Internet of Things refer the link below
We hoped you liked this article.