Following are the parameters (written with the decreasing order of weightage) considered for preparing the ranking:
Top 8 Ranking of New IITs
Reasons of the Ranking of the new IITs:
1. IIT Hyderabad: Rated No.1 among the eight new IITs, it has eleven engineering departments, three science departments, one liberal arts (humanities) department, one design department and three new proposed departments. Launched in 2008, IIT-Hyderabad was officially inaugurated by Sonia Gandhi on February 27, 2009.
The campus is currently located in a quiet, residential colony on the Ordnance Factory Campus at Yeddumailram in Medak district, and is far away from civilization. IIT Hyderabad has great ongoing research, and its tie-up with Japan is certainly an added boon. The city, being an IT hub, provides an upper hand when it comes to placements. Who knows, you might just land up working for Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Qualcomm, Amazon, IBM, Motorola or Hyundai!
2. IIT Indore: IIT Indore has unbeatably the best coding culture in the country. If you want an awesome on-board campus life, state-of-the-art infrastructure and the best hostels in the country, then choose IIT Indore without even giving a second thought to your choice.
The institution started functioning from 2009-10 in a temporary campus at Institute of Engineering and Technology of Devi Ahilyabai University under the mentorship of IIT Bombay. However, since February 2016, it has started functioning from its permanent campus spread over an area of around 510 acres at Simrol.
3. IIT Gandhinagar: Founded in 2008, it is located in Palaj, Gandhinagar, Gujarat on the banks of the serene river Sabarmati. Laying emphasis on the liberal arts, project-oriented learning, compulsory courses in design and the life sciences, diversity and globalization, it is undoubtedly the city’s most prestigious academic and research institute.
It offers awards not only for curricular and extra-curricular achievements but also for exemplary human qualities. More than 35% of students graduate with international experience of some sort. The faculty@Gandhinagar is liberal in its outlook, informal in its interactions and uncompromising on core values.
4. IIT Ropar: Sometimes referred to as the Indian Institute of Technology Punjab (IIT Punjab), it holds a fourth position in the rankings of new IITs in India. It mainly offers courses in Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Engineering.
The institute, apart from establishing a robust teaching environment, is keen to facilitate and support cutting-edge research in a variety of areas. It is committed to providing state-of-the-art technical education and facilitating transmission of knowledge by keeping in mind the latest developments in pedagogy. However, the shifting to a permanent campus has been delayed for a few years.
5. IIT Patna: Patna has been home to some of the visionaries like Lord Gautam Buddha, Lord Mahavir, Guru Gobind Singh, the famous astronomer Aryabhatta and the first President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad. Living up to the high expectations is IIT Patna, which provides excellent placements with packages including a 1.8 crore job offer from Google, and a newly inaugurated campus.
Located at Bihta, it already has six hundred seventy students enrolled in its B Tech programs, one hundred sixty-one M.Tech students and two hundred fifty-nine Ph.D. students. The institute is also equipped with state-of-the-art facilities to provide students a quality education.
6. IIT Bhubaneswar: Situated at the foot of Barunei Hill, which is famous for its rich history, IIT Bhubaneswar is spreading over 936 acres of land. Offering a serene and pollution-free academic environment, it has an academic area, residential area, training centres and a research park.
The institute came into existence on July 22, 2008, and brings out academic brilliance by providing holistic education through various activities. What more can you expect? There is a mini shopping complex in, yoga and meditation activities, counseling services and a fitness centre.
7. IIT Mandi: Nestled in the Shivalik Range of the Himalayas, away from the hustle bustle of the metropolis, IIT Mandi was established with the vision of being a leader in science and technology education, knowledge creation, and innovation. The main campus is eco-friendly and fast developing over an area of 538 acres, which is surrounded by mountains.
IIT Mandi has now nearly completely shifted to its main campus at Kamand, except for some sections. In spite of being the youngest of all IITs, it has been successful in developing a firm foundation in the field of sports.
8. IIT Jodhpur: Currently operating from two sets of temporary campuses, IIT Rajasthan will shift to its sprawling state-of-the-art residential permanent campus on 852 acres of land in the forthcoming years. The new campus has been planned meticulously and envisioned to stand as a symbol of academics.
Run under IIT Kanpur, the undergraduate courses taught here are Computers, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, Biologically, Inspired Systems Science and System Sciencebesides other Postgraduate and Ph.D. programmes. The endeavour at IIT Jodhpur is to live up to this brand image, with a renewed focus on producing world-class technology-driven graduates.